Occupational Employment Statistics
Dispense drugs prescribed by physicians and other health practitioners and provide information to patients about medications and their use. May advise physicians and other health practitioners on the selection, dosage, interactions, and side effects of medications.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||3,070||$65.17/hr
|Professional and Business Services||310||$65.64/hr
|Education and Health Services||2,740||$68.59/hr
- Review prescriptions to assure accuracy, to ascertain the needed ingredients, and to evaluate their suitability.
- Work in hospitals or clinics or for Health Management Organizations (HMOs), dispensing prescriptions, serving as a medical team consultant, or specializing in specific drug therapy areas, such as oncology or nuclear pharmacotherapy.
- Plan, implement, or maintain procedures for mixing, packaging, or labeling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security, and proper disposal.
- Maintain records, such as pharmacy files, patient profiles, charge system files, inventories, control records for radioactive nuclei, or registries of poisons, narcotics, or controlled drugs.
- Provide information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage, and proper medication storage.
- Order and purchase pharmaceutical supplies, medical supplies, or drugs, maintaining stock and storing and handling it properly.
- Offer health promotion or prevention activities, such as training people to use blood pressure devices or diabetes monitors.
- Manage pharmacy operations, hiring or supervising staff, performing administrative duties, or buying or selling non-pharmaceutical merchandise.
- Assess the identity, strength, or purity of medications.
- Contact insurance companies to resolve billing issues.