Occupational Employment Statistics
29-1021 Dentists, General
Examine, diagnose, and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting oral hygiene and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care. Excludes "Prosthodontists" (29-1024), "Orthodontists" (29-1023), "Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons" (29-1022) and "Dentists, All Other Specialists" (29-1029).
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Professional and Business Services||N/A||N/A
|Education and Health Services||1,810||$83.07/hr
- Use masks, gloves, and safety glasses to protect patients and self from infectious diseases.
- Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, or other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
- Use dental air turbines, hand instruments, dental appliances, or surgical implements.
- Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, or malformations of teeth, gums, or related oral structures and provide preventive or corrective services.
- Treat exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments.
- Fill pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
- Formulate plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
- Analyze or evaluate dental needs to determine changes or trends in patterns of dental disease.
- Advise or instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, or oral health care services.