Occupational Employment Statistics
Plan, coordinate, or edit content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||30||$15.62/hr
|Professional and Business Services||160||$31.15/hr
|Education and Health Services||130||$39.24/hr
|Leisure and Hospitality||10||$31.52/hr
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value.
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Direct the policies and departments of newspapers, magazines and other publishing establishments.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other editors.