Occupational Employment Statistics
27-2023 Umpires, Referees, and Other Sports Officials
Officiate at competitive athletic or sporting events. Detect infractions of rules and decide penalties according to established regulations. Includes all sporting officials, referees, and competition judges.
Seven County Mpls-St Paul, MN
|Education and Health Services||20||N/A
- Signal participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Keep track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Judge performances in sporting competitions to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Officiate at sporting events, games, or competitions, to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Start races and competitions.
- Verify credentials of participants in sporting events, and make other qualifying determinations, such as starting order or handicap number.
- Compile scores and other athletic records.
- Direct participants to assigned areas, such as starting blocks or penalty areas.
- Verify scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
- Confer with other sporting officials, coaches, players, and facility managers to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems.