Occupational Employment Statistics
19-4021 Biological Technicians
Assist biological and medical scientists in laboratories. Set up, operate, and maintain laboratory instruments and equipment, monitor experiments, make observations, and calculate and record results. May analyze organic substances, such as blood, food, and drugs.
|Professional and Business Services||90||$23.12/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||$30.98/hr
- Participate in the research, development, or manufacturing of medicinal and pharmaceutical preparations.
- Examine animals and specimens to detect the presence of disease or other problems.
- Use computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics or high-technology industrial applications to perform work duties.
- Conduct standardized biological, microbiological or biochemical tests and laboratory analyses to evaluate the quantity or quality of physical or chemical substances in food or other products.
- Conduct or supervise operational programs such as fish hatcheries, greenhouses and livestock production programs.
- Monitor laboratory work to ensure compliance with set standards.
- Clean, maintain and prepare supplies and work areas.
- Measure or weigh compounds and solutions for use in testing or animal feed.
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results to write reports and summaries of findings.
- Feed livestock or laboratory animals.