Occupational Employment Statistics
17-3011 Architectural and Civil Drafters
Prepare detailed drawings of architectural and structural features of buildings or drawings and topographical relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, and public works. Use knowledge of building materials, engineering practices, and mathematics to complete drawings.
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||30||$33.39/hr
|Professional and Business Services||1,140||$30.90/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Produce drawings, using computer-assisted drafting systems (CAD) or drafting machines, or by hand, using compasses, dividers, protractors, triangles, and other drafting devices.
- Draft plans and detailed drawings for structures, installations, and construction projects, such as highways, sewage disposal systems, and dikes, working from sketches or notes.
- Finish and duplicate drawings and documentation packages according to required mediums and specifications for reproduction, using blueprinting, photography, or other duplicating methods.
- Create freehand drawings and lettering to accompany drawings.
- Explain drawings to production or construction teams and provide adjustments as necessary.
- Draw maps, diagrams, and profiles, using cross-sections and surveys, to represent elevations, topographical contours, subsurface formations, and structures.
- Plot characteristics of boreholes for oil and gas wells from photographic subsurface survey recordings and other data, representing depth, degree, and direction of inclination.
- Obtain and assemble data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary.
- Determine procedures and instructions to be followed, according to design specifications and quantity of required materials.
- Draw rough and detailed scale plans for foundations, buildings, and structures, based on preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, and other data.