Occupational Employment Statistics
17-3011 Architectural and Civil Drafters
Prepare detailed drawings of architectural and structural features of buildings or drawings and topographical relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, and public works. Use knowledge of building materials, engineering practices, and mathematics to complete drawings.
|Natural Resources and Mining||N/A||N/A
|Trade, Transportation and Utilities||60||$27.42/hr
|Professional and Business Services||1,150||$26.40/hr
|Education and Health Services||N/A||N/A
|Leisure and Hospitality||N/A||N/A
- Produce drawings, using computer-assisted drafting systems (CAD) or drafting machines, or by hand, using compasses, dividers, protractors, triangles, and other drafting devices.
- Operate computer-aided drafting (CAD) equipment or conventional drafting station to produce designs, working drawings, charts, forms, and records.
- Draft plans and detailed drawings for structures, installations, and construction projects, such as highways, sewage disposal systems, and dikes, working from sketches or notes.
- Finish and duplicate drawings and documentation packages according to required mediums and specifications for reproduction, using blueprinting, photography, or other duplicating methods.
- Explain drawings to production or construction teams and provide adjustments as necessary.
- Review rough sketches, drawings, specifications, and other engineering data received from civil engineers to ensure that they conform to design concepts.
- Draw maps, diagrams, and profiles, using cross-sections and surveys, to represent elevations, topographical contours, subsurface formations, and structures.
- Supervise, coordinate, and inspect the work of draftspersons, technicians, and technologists on construction projects.
- Coordinate structural, electrical, and mechanical designs and determine a method of presentation to graphically represent building plans.
- Determine the order of work and method of presentation, such as orthographic or isometric drawing.